Normally, whenever I have a couple of over-riped bananas sitting around, I'd make a loaf of banana bread or a couple of breakfast muffins. However this time, I decided to take a different route and attempted to re-make my childhood favourite! I had two bananas left and did a little trial-and-error with the other ingredients to get the right texture, sweetness and flavour. It turned out alright but I would have preferred a mushier and more banana-ey texture. Nonetheless, it reminded me of Malaysia! :)
Don't worry about the dark colour because unlike other fritters, they're meant to be dark brown!
Cekodok/Cucur Pisang (Banana Fritters)
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8-1/4 cup granulated sugar (I prefer mine to be less sweet so, I went with 1/8 cup)
- a pinch of baking powder
- vegetable oil
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with the a fork.
- Mix in the flour, sugar and baking powder with the mashed bananas until well combined.
- When the oil is hot enough*, drop the batter using a tablespoon into the saucepan.
- Turn the fritter over once/twice to make sure that both sides brown equally. It's done when both sides are dark golden brown.
- Remove and place on paper towels to absolve excess oil. Serve warm for a crunchy snack or room temperature for a chewy snack! (Both are equally good!!)
* To test if the oil's ready, I'd usually dip the tip of my chopstick into the oil. If it bubbles rapidly, it is usually hot enough!
Normally, they're sold on stick but these forks will do the job for now! :)
Ps. You might have noticed a tiny little something at the bottom each photos and personally, I prefer my pictures without them. BUT recently, there has been a couple of sites that have been using my photos and passing it off as theirs or using it without any acknowledgement/permission. Don't get me wrong because I love love love sharing my pictures but I do put a lot of effort into each photograph and they're like my babies :) HAHA Do I sound crazy?
Have a lovely weekend!