I knew that I wanted to bring a dessert but I couldn't decide on one. And as I was browsing through my bookmarked recipes, I stumbled upon something that I've been itching to try for ages! Momofuku's famed crack pie. A 44 bucks pie!!
Crack pie but no crack? hmm...
Either way, I knew that I needed to make this Momofuku's Milk Bar leading star! So, from the brilliant mind of Christina Tosi, here's my attempt on this celebrity pie.
Good pie starts with a good base. It's an oatmeal cookie-based pie crust- nothing like any pie crust I've ever had before!
Momofuku's Crack Pie
(adapted from Momofuku for 2)
Oatmeal Cookie for Crust
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- Scant 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Scant 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- Scant 1 cup rolled oats
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Cream the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Whisk the egg into the butter mixture until fully incorporated.
5. Stir in the flour mixture until fully combined. Stir in the oats.
6. Spread the mixture onto a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking sheet and bake until golden brown and set, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to the touch on a rack. Crumble the cooled cookie to use in the crust.
The ingredients make two 10-inch pies but I used a rectangle pie tin instead.
- Crumbled cookie for crust
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine the crumbled cookie, butter, brown sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until evenly combined and blended (a little of the mixture clumped between your fingers should hold together). Divide the crust between 2 (10-inch) pie tins. Press the crust into each shell to form a thin, even layer along the bottom and sides of the tins. Set the prepared crusts aside while you prepare the filling.
The rich, butter, creamy filling all ready to go.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup plus a scant 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk powder
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plus a scant 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 prepared crusts
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, salt and milk powder. Whisk in the melted butter, then whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla.
3. Gently whisk in the egg yolks, being careful not to add too much air.
4. Divide the filling evenly between the 2 prepared pie shells.
5. Bake the pies, one at a time, for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 degrees and bake until the filling is slightly jiggly and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pies and cool on a rack.
6. Refrigerate the cooled pies until well chilled. Serve cold, and the filling will be gooey. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Crack pie's certainly the right name for this pie.
Sweet, gooey, chewy... oh gosh, I'm addicted. A purely orgasmic pie.
No, I didn't want to share this. I needed to keep this for myself.
But I'm glad I did because it'd be too selfish to not share this piece of heaven!